Sugar Glazed Apple Tart
A thin-crusted sweet tart great with vanilla ice cream.
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 35 minutes Fridge Time 30 minutes Total Time 50 minutes
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 3 equal pieces
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tspn sugar
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 1 tbsp water ice-cold
- 2 apples sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar for topping
- 3 tbsp butter cut into small cubes for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- For the dough, put the flour, butter, oil, sugar, and salt in a food processor and process for about 10 seconds.
- Add the Tablespoon of ice water and process for another five or six seconds.
- Remove from the bowl and form into a flat dough. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and then refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll the ball of dough into a thin layer, around ¼ inch thick.
- Using a round cutter, or use a round bowl or lid as a guide and cut out into a nice round circle. Carefully transfer the dough to a large cookie sheet lined with a nonstick baking mat.
- Arrange the apple slices, alternating them nicely on top of the dough. Sprinkle the apple with sugar and put butter cubes on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the fruit is soft and the dough nicely browned.
- Some of the juice from the fruit will have leaked out onto the cookie sheet. Before it hardens and makes the disks stick to the sheet, lift the tart with a broad spatula and transfer them to a cooling rack or platter.
- Serve lukewarm or at room temperature with ice cream (optional).